Kidnappers return to Ogbomoso, abduct Togolese, injure youths
After about two months break without any report of abduction in Ogbomoso, Oyo State, kidnappers have returned to the area, DAILY POST gathered.
Our correspondent learnt that the kidnappers who have been in the business of kidnapping innocent citizens and collecting huge sums of money as ransom have returned to the area to kidnap a Togolese.
DAILY POST recalls that no fewer than four people were abducted in the area between July 16th and 28th this year. Two of them were released after some amount of money was allegedly paid as ransom while two of the victims were killed by their abductors after N5 million was paid.
One of the victims, Christopher Bakare, a farm supervisor at the farm of a former governor of the state, late Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala, was abducted on Saturday, 16 July at Jabata in the Surulere Local Government Area of the state.
A private hospital owner, Baba Rasheed, was also abducted on Friday, 22 July in the same local government area.
A hotelier, Mr. Gbenga Owolabi, and one of his staff, Rachael Abiola Opadele were also kidnapped at the Abaa area in Ogbomoso on Thursday, 28 July.
The duo of Owolabi and Opadele have been killed by their abductors after a sum of five minion naira (N5m) has been paid as ransom.
DAILY POST, however, gathered that the kidnappers have returned to the area after two month’s break.
A Togolese, identified as Alhaji Yisa Agric, was abducted Monday night at his house in Agric area in Gbede, Surulere LGA.
The kidnappers, in an attempt to succeed in the operation, also injured some youths who attempted to rescue the victim.
DAILY POST learnt that youths in the community who rallied for the rescue operations were repelled by the kidnappers who reportedly wielded AK-47 rifles.
It was gathered that the gunmen suspected to be herdsmen, stormed the community at about 10 pm and made straight for the victim’s residence.
The victim is a security guard at a popular farm in Ogbomoso, according to a source.
It was gathered that the kidnappers demanded a sum of N10m to release the victim.
DAILY POST, however, gathered that the kidnapped victim was released around 11 pm on Wednesday after an undisclosed amount of money was collected as ransom.
The Baale of Gbede, Chief Subaru Akano Nurudeen, who confirmed the abduction to DAILY POST, insisted that the Togolese had been released after an undisclosed of money was paid as ransom.
The monarch, in a telephone conversation with DAILY POST on Thursday, said that the Togolese is a security guard and had been working there for decades.
Nurudeen said, “I heard what you said. It is true. It is Gbede. It is true. A journalist from Ogbomoso has also called me yesterday.
“At about 10 am on Monday, he was kidnapped. But, he has been released around 11 pm yesterday (Wednesday) after they gave them what they want.
“But, he was kidnapped. He is a security guard for Baba Elegbede. He is an old man. He has been there for many years”.
However, all efforts made by DAILY POST to get a reaction from Adewale Osifeso, Public Relations Officer of the state police command, proved to be abortive.
Calls put through his phone were not successful and a text message sent to him had not been replied to at the time of filing this report on Thursday.
READ ALSO 👇